Here’s What Happened at VR, AR and Mixed Reality: Coming to Your Eyes in 2018
Thank you to everyone who attended our event at the Central Austin Library, to our speakers, Patrick Curry of FarBridge and Frank Roan of HookBang, and to their teams for the amazing interactive product demos.
Top 5 Takeaways
1. Virtual Reality (VR) allows user to experience computer-generated worlds as if they were real.
2. Augmented Reality (AR, also called mixed reality or extended reality) is “a technology that superimposes a computer-generated image on a view of the real world, thus providing a composite view.” (Frank Roan)
3. Austin has an active VR community. Get involved with VRAustin to learn more.
4. Remember that today’s devices have NO specialized AR hardware. That means everything relies on software and it’s a huge drain on batteries. Monocular Visual Inertial Odometry (VIO) is currently the best design option.
5. For every Pokemon Go, there’s a Google Glass (plus a lot of things we never will hear about). Your tech may be amazing, but if society isn’t ready for it, you’ve skipped an important step.
BONUS TAKEAWAY: Even without a badge, there are ways to plug in to SXSW – check out their free events!